Whilst enjoying “The Martian” film starring Matt Damon http://www.foxmovies.com/movies/the-martian I was struck by many striking parallels with the challenges faced by Data experts.
The film covers a lone astronaut’s battle to survive on Mars, so what are the parallels?
And what is the recipe for success?
The similarities with Data projects include:
- Sequentially identifying the most important elements is a good way to break down complex problems.
- Your own personal skills should always be the first resort.
- Good communication with ground control is needed.
- Coping with a complex environment.
- Getting great results from low-tech and intuition directing high-tech tools.
Businesses wishing to make Big Data projects deliver meaningful results would do well to take note.
The film was inspiring and I encourage you all to see it !